Follow these guidelines to understand your topic and gather good sources.
- Define your topic, create your thesis, and gather background information. What you find here will help you with locating current magazine, newspaper and journal articles related to your topic.
- Make a list of keywords and topics from the background information. Use this to locate magazine and journal articles.
- When creating a list of keywords, remember to look for words that are similar like: inequity, disparity, inequality, etc.
- Narrow down by demographic: race, income, education, geographic, etc.
- You may have to think outside the box in terms of where to look for information. Sometimes searching Google first to see how your topic is being talked about in natural language helps.
- You may have to search broadly and in a more theoretical way in the sociology databases to find your sociological journal articles.
- Email citations and articles as you go!