The Presser Music Library is at the heart of student-centered learning at West Chester University! The music library is located on the first floor of the Swope Music Building and serves the academic and research needs of students and faculty in the Wells School of Music, as well as the wider West Chester University community. Music materials and specialized library services are readily available, including reference and information literacy instruction from our music librarian.
The music library currently houses:
- Seating and study spaces for both individual and group study.
- Over 9,000 books about music and 29,000 music scores, including collected editions and monuments, full scores, and music for solo performers and chamber ensembles.
- Extensive online resources including the Naxos and Alexander Street streaming audio databases; the Alexander Street collection of online scores; the Naxos Video Library and Opera in Video collections; Oxford Music Online and the Garland Encyclopedia of World Music; and the Music Index, RILM, and IIMP indexes to periodical literature.
- CDs, DVDs, and LP records covering all style periods and genres of music, including classical, jazz, folk, world, and popular music.
- A reference collection including music reference books and 14 print music periodicals.
- Technology for inhouse use, such as desktop computers, a digital scanner, CD drives, listening stations, headphones, and a printer.
- Equipment and music production hardware for student checkout including recording kits (microphones, stands, audio interfaces) and midi keyboard controllers.
- Laptops for student checkout which include Microsoft Office, Sibelius and Finale music notation programs, and Logic Pro digital audio workstation and MIDI sequencer software.
The Music Library is under the administration of the University Libraries, and is the only branch library on the WCU campus. The Libraries’ borrowing policy and other policies can be found here.