Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Research Industry and Competitors
Data for company and industry research, both historical and current. Includes data on global publicly-traded companies, as well as domestic and international private companies.
- Use the primary NAICS code to find a list of public companies and private companies in the industry.
- Use the list of companies to identify competitors and research competitive companies.
- Use the public companies' annual report (10K) to research the industry environment.
Industry Trends and News
U.S. Major Dailies
Formerly called National Newspapers Core.
Search or browse full text issues of:
-Los Angeles Times (1997-current)
-New York Times (1980-current)
-Wall Street Journal (1984-current)
-Washington Post (1987-current)
- Use the newspapers to research industry trends, new technology, legal issues, political trends, social trends
Find Industry Report
Business Source Complete
Search full-text journals, books, case studies, company profiles, SWOT analyses, and industry, economic & market reports.
- Search the content with the NAICS code you have identified. If you cannot find enough content, search the keywords from NAICS code descriptions.
- In the left column of the search result, limit the source type to industry profiles to find reports on industry environment.
- Limit the source type to product reviews or trade publication to find new product development trends, industry and market trends.
- Limit the source type to SWOT analysis to identify some competitors and review the Opportunity and Threat section to analyze the external environment.
- Use Gartner to find new technology trends in your industry.
Consumer and Market Research
Market research reports for the United States and internationally.
Note: After agreeing to the Conditions of Use, you must sign in to your Personal Profile - or create one. You must use your WCU EMAIL ADDRESS for your profile, but do NOT use your current WCU password, as the Mintel password will not change when your WCU password changes. Once you have signed into your personal profile, you have the ability to download or save reports.
(Mintel Group Ltd.)
- Click my reports, and then "all my reports" to view a list of reports that are subscribed by the Library.
- Mintel reports cover mainly consumer goods and general consumer demographic trends and consumer behavior.
Freely available source for population, housing, economic and geographic information.
(United States Census Bureau)
- Use tthe NAICS code to examine he Census Data from American Factfinder and evaluate market size, industry size and competitive landscape.